Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Unwanted Bits of Nature

Critter!

I found this hole a few days ago in the front yard, and I know it wasn't there when I mowed a last week. I have no idea what animal it is. I included my boot for a size reference (which is, conveniently, about a foot long). No critter has been spotted, but now I'm on the alert. It's also a little too close to the retaining wall for my comfort.

Hopefully it isn't one of those freaky rat things that migrated this way from Texas.

You may remember this from a previous post:














We have since discovered they are both weeds. June was right about both. While I still like the look of the one on the left (it adds a punk rock feel to a stuffy garden, no?), it is rapidly taking over and offspring are growing in the sidewalk cracks. I still have not found a name for it, though, and digging it up will be a pain. It's one sharp MF.
The one on the right is a type of sage, like June said. However, it's an invasive, nasty kind of sage. It's easily removed, but I let it go to seed before I realized it wasn't a good thing. My suspicions were raised after the garden had a week of good watering, and suddenly they were three feet tall.

3 Comments:

At 1:45 PM, August 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

in"Critter hole" could be a mole hole -- although mole holes usually have a pile of dirt. I will look for "the trapper's book" for you. (Nice tan!)

 
At 8:18 PM, August 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We moved in February '05, so last summer was my first as a landscaping suburbanite. I saw a very similar hole while I was weeding the lawn. I panicked, went in to get Matt, and said I found some kind of critter hole, it's pretty big, what do you think? He came out, looked at the hole closely, looked at me closely, and said gravely, "You'd better watch out. We may have a Realtor under the yard."

It was the post hole from the "For Sale" sign. I laughed hysterically for a long time.

 
At 9:26 PM, August 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not likely a mole or pocket gopher. Looks too big for chipmunk and too small for a groundhog. There is never just one hole, whatever it is will have alternates, may be in other yards. I suggest you plug the hole with a rock or whatever- if 'it' is serious it will move it or dig around it. If it does,then it may be time for WMDs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home