Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The Good, the Bad, the Ugly

While trimming that large hedge the other day, I discovered something new:



A few more have popped up along the north side of the house, right outside the basement window. I feel like I should know what these are, but I don't. But they are a nice change from the ferns that otherwise populate the 4-foot wide alley that is north of the house.

More plants, from the south side this time:




As for the bad and the ugly...


Have I mentioned I am not a fan of ornamental grasses? This one looks like the retaining wall is throwing up. Once I have a better ides of what to plant, this will be the first to go. In the meantime, I will try to trim it under control.



This second one I have mixed feelings about. It is also forcing itself onto the backyard walkway, making me want to rip it out. But it looks like it may bloom something soon, so I am curious if I should wait to see what it will look like. Is it really an ornamental grass, or am I mistaken?

5 Comments:

At 2:21 PM, July 25, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

John, I have *badass* weeds that are a dead ringer for the stuff in the 3rd photo. Mine grow to about knee to mid thigh high because I, um, don't weed too often.

I kind of like the large ornamental grass bush. (You could put googly eyes on it and make it a Fry Guy.)

Could the stuff in the second photo be some variant of sage (salvia)? Does it have a nice odor if you crush the leaves?

 
At 12:46 PM, July 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my 2 cents..... Stick with the trimming, and get things under control, then start thinking about changes. overwhelming growth, I think, is the name of the game in Seattle.
this is one impressive yard, I suspect it may be quite nice once cleaned up.

 
At 9:51 PM, July 26, 2006, Blogger JCM said...

WEEDS!!! NOOOO!!!!
They look intentionally planted, but now I've got my eye on them.

And the stuff in the second photo does indeed have a sage-y smell when the leaves are crushed. Between that and the rosemary growing under the kitchen, I'm ready for a turkey dinner.

 
At 6:46 PM, August 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe the flowering plant you requested an ID for is a Rose of Sharon (I can't remember the actual non-whitey name).

 
At 5:12 AM, August 19, 2006, Blogger art-sweet said...

The last picture looks like a day lily about to bloom...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home