Friday, July 07, 2006

One plant I messed up (I think)

John's been tackling the yard work, as you can see, so I thought I'd try my first attempt at planting someting:



Perhaps I should have trusted instinct and should not have tried at all.

It's true-- the only thing I grow well is mold. In 7th grade biology, the mold growing experiment was the only one I truly succeeded at-- it popped the lid off the petri dish. But this was a kit, so it couldn't be that bad, right? I followed the directions: soaked a cube of mossy stuff in water, plastered it all over the basket, popped holes in a plastic bag to act as "a saucer" for water for the soil, mositened the soil (ewww-- "moooiiist"). The problem was the seeds-- they're strawberry seeds, and there were supposedly 10 of them in the kit. I don't know if I scattered them well, since I never saw them come out. Then, I had problems getting the hooks on the damn basket, so I might have accidentally kicked them out of their (eww.. here we go again) moist, cozy, dirt home. Guess we'll see if anything starts to sprout, but something tells me I already failed.

Can someone tell me (post deed) what's the right way to scatter seeds in the future?

5 Comments:

At 3:37 PM, July 07, 2006, Blogger art-sweet said...

Damn, you kids are trying to be hardcore, starting from seed.

Go easy on yourselves, if not on your wallet, and buy plants to start with. Remember to untangle the roots a bit if they're potbound, and plant them so that the soil is at the same level.

Pots are harder to do than in ground, as they dry out a LOT faster.

Find a good garden center (NOT home despot) and ask advice there about what grows well in your area. Take pictures of things that seem to be thriving in other people's gardens (that you like) and post them here and I'll try to id them for you.

xo art.

 
At 4:07 PM, July 07, 2006, Blogger JCM said...

No money spent on this one... at least, no recent money. I bought it last year as a back up b-day present for someone in case the thing I was trying to knit didn't work. Let's say that the knitted thing was passable, if not ideal, so I ended up keeping this.

But thank you, my dearest art-sweet, for the offer to id pics-- that'll probably happen for sure as the neighborhood walks with Truman are frequently peppered with exclaimations from one or the other of us, "I like this one! What is it?" ~C

 
At 5:49 PM, July 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seeds don't always carry over from year to year. It probably wasn't your fault that they didn't grow. Don't take it personally.

 
At 8:55 PM, July 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

totally, seeds go bad... don't let a minor failure derail any future attempts. Use the Sudbury motto(this is something new I learned)"It probably just didn't want to live there. Maybe somewhere new will be better"

another guess may be lack of light on this one.... just a shot in the dark(hehe)
also.... some seeds take up to 3 weeks and need the correct temperatures and/or amount of light to germinate

total wag on this one....

 
At 12:44 PM, July 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

any follow up on this?? my real question is did is sprout and then not get any light? or did we give up on it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home