Sunday, July 16, 2006

A success?

I knew what hydrangeas were, but thanks to art-sweet's post, I now know how to spell the word. And I didn't know that they change color with soil pH, which makes me want to run out and pour lemon juice on the ground to see what happens. Which would not be a wise thing.

On that note, on our moving-in day, Chris's mother made frequent comments that the back yard needed to be watered. At first I thought it she was just referring to the lawn. But, as they were leaving, Julie again said, "Be sure to buy soaker hose for the back. That hydrangea could really use it."

Hydrangea? I noticed to one out front almost immediately when we first saw they house, as they remind me of my grandparent's house in Oregon. But in the back yard? I ran back to check...


Oh, that thing? Yikes...

I couldn't let that wither away. Later that evening, I moved the hose to the backyard to begin the revival. I only watered it a few minutes each day (a new soaking hose is lower on the shopping list right now) for the few days before we left for Oregon, but on returning home...



Could this be? Is the thumb turning green already?

Before I celebrate too much, the front porch hydrangea is looking amazing, without any intervention but the Seattle weather (which has been warm and dry). So maybe this was just the natural course. And I hadn't watered in a week. But I'll take any hint of success I can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home