Friday, August 04, 2006

The Books Have Arrived

The books that were on hold at the library have arrived. One in particular was very helpful, "The Washington & Oregon Gardener's Guide." It was formatted with prominant pictures, so you can basicly leaf through it and say, "Hey, I have that one..." I was able to identify or comfirm several plants, including this one:

This hosta finally flowered, redeeming itself in my eyes at least. The Guide cautioned that "Slug management is vital with hostas." We honestly haven't seen that many slugs here, which is surpising for the northwest. But on closer inspection:

Pet-safe slug bait is now on the shopping list. There is now a tell-tale slug track on the doormat in the backyard.

Some new flowers have bloomed this week, ones not found in the book:


On the whole, this book has reassured me. Almost all the identified plants are perennials, will do fine with good watering (except the lavender, which get root rot), and just need to be deadheaded to keep them flowering. Whew.

But..back to the lawn. I mowed for only the second time this month, mainly to keep the weeds under control. I'm beginning to think this whole thing about rain in Seattle is a myth. At any rate, when mowing the backyard, I was getting fustrated with the slope down to the fence, and with ramming the mower into the fence that is barely holding itself together.

I then had an epiphany. Why not tear up the grass around the fence, put down some mulch, and plant some hardy shrubs around the perimeter. This would keep me from having to buy a weed whacker. Plus, the shrubs might block tennis balls from rolling under the fence into the street, which confuses the dog and annoys me.

But what to plant? Someone may have had this idea before, as there is one as yet unidentified but ubiquitous shrub planted behind the fence, facing the alley:


On a side note, have you ever wanted to mow the lawn one morning, but were worried the noise would bother your neighbors (that is, the unemployed ones like yourself)? If at all possible, try to arrange to have the Blue Angels practice over your neighborhood. Your mower will sound like a purring kitten in comparison.
They were practicing for Seafair today, and were buzzing over the house close enough for me to see the pilot's face. And were UNBELIEVABLY LOUD, enough to rattle the house, set off car alarms, and send the dog under the bed. But, when 4 fighter jets do a slow roll in tight formation over your backyard, that's REALLY FREAKING COOL.

3 Comments:

At 5:48 PM, August 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Juniper bushes (like the ones in my front yard) are almost impossible to kill ---if that is a plus. If you want something that flowers. azaleas or rhodadendrums (sp?). Best thing to do is find a local nursery and see what they have. Ask questions --- you don't have to buy.

 
At 6:31 AM, August 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We put in wigela bushes (Java red) that made it through a year of our care. They put out gorgeous pink trumpet-shaped flowers in the spring.

I am known to mow the lawn at odd hours (6 AM), but I have a push-reel mower. As long as the labdes are sharp, I love it!

Matt and I used to go to airshows once in a while. I liked them, but they do scare me.

 
At 6:32 AM, August 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa, bad typo -

labdes = blades

 

Post a Comment

<< Home