Tuesday, May 01, 2007

And Other Suggestions...?

As I set my sights on the perfect front yard:


Rhododendron? Check. Lilac? Check. Picturesque dog? Check (although the vet says chubby has to lose 14 lbs).

The problem is that bush at the corner:


It's ugly. It grows in funny directions. It's hard to trim. And it has no flowers, which is a cardinal sin for yard shrubs in the northwest.

It needs to go.

This may be a summer project. But, does anyone have any suggestions about what to plant instead?
For reference, the blue hydrangea is behind it. The lilac is just out of the picture, to the right. And the English Bluebells below it probably won't last through June. This was also the bush that had the alleged Rose of Sharon bloom underneath it.

Obviously, I'm not expecting something that will get that big right away (that thing is a good 7 feet). But I just want something with a little less boring.

3 Comments:

At 11:04 PM, May 01, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

People might say that our dog "grows in funny directions" and is "hard to trim" Are we going to give him away?

 
At 3:58 AM, May 02, 2007, Blogger June said...

Check out a nursery and see what flowering shrubbery you like. But before you buy, look up how big it gets, sunlight requirements, etc, and ensure it's compatible with that location.

 
At 2:23 PM, July 01, 2007, Blogger rscimagery said...

Your blogger just attacked me - I had a nice note all written up then it thought I was Sharon and ate my comment. Oh well.

2 Suggestions: Hostas are bulletproof fillers of green, at least here, and I dont know if they grow there but a large bushy hydrangea is a nice addition to a yard, I planted a $40 one and in two years its a nice centerpiece in the yard. DOnt know if they like Seattle though -Rich

 

Post a Comment

<< Home